Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Breslin Had a Little Lamb

I can remember as a kid always having lamb on Easter and not really enjoying all that much. My parents were both phenomenal cooks but something about the lamb flavor just never really did it for me. I was hesitant to ever order Lamb out on a menu since I always thought of that gamey flavoring. That was until I tried the famous Lamb Burger at the Breslin. I have heard about all the hype and figured maybe I will give this lamb thing a try.

The evening started out stressful, with a bar full of the famished after work crowd waiting to be seated. Nearly two hours went by as I continued to saturate my insides with red wine and I thought, can this lamb burger really be worth this nonsense scene on a Thursday night? After my 3rd trip down the steep stairs of the Ace Hotel lobby to reach the bathroom, the wait continued. I kept thinking that I couldn't imagine passing by this dead animal carcass another time. Who knew that taxidermy could be such a conversation piece.

Finally we are seated in the top section of the restaurant, squished in a corner at these tiny tables with a group of about 10 or so. My starved co-workers and myself start getting down to business and ordering away. There is no turning back now. Lamb burgers all around! We had some thrice cooked chips that were more fun to say than eat, but thats ok since we were just coating the stomach for the main event. The food arrives and after much anticipation I get ready to indulge.



 I see the bread is soaked with juices from the lamb, the feta topped to give the meat just the right amount of saltiness and the first bite is taken. The taste immediately put all those Easter dinners to shame. This is the way lamb should be eaten. I slowly ate my burger and enjoyed every last bite of it as I ate in silence just taking in all the flavors. It met my expectations and then some. I will certainly return and get this fine treat again.

Only next time.... I will come for a 3p lunch !

No comments:

Post a Comment