Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Loco for Lavo

As any self respecting lady with italian roots I thought it was sac-religious to have meatballs out at a restaurant. Even the best of pizza places usually just can't get their meatball subs to jive the way I like them. Everyone has their own standard in the meatball category.  Cut up bread vs breadcrumbs, garlic powder vs. cut up garlic, the variations are endless. I have always feared that ordering them out would surely disappoint my ever so spoiled meatball palette. A taste here and there when appetizers are ordered at italian restaurants but I have never ordered them myself. It always PAINS me to order something that I know deep down I can make better myself at home. Sigh - The problems for a seasoned cook!

I had been dying to try out LAVO NYC on East 58th street since its opening last year and when I got a chance to get there, of course the table ordered the meatball appetizer. This was no ordinary meatball. Years of making meatballs with a ground pork,veal and beef combination seemed like perfection. Wrong again. I mean, what better meat product than one you get from an animal that was massaged prior to execution. Ahhh, of course kobe beef. This 16 oz. ball of perfection schooled me in the meatball department. With the sausage ragu smothered atop and fresh whipped ricotta, you could eat this for a meal rather than an appetizer.


Figuring that a group lunch usually means an over abundance of antipasto, fried goodness and then some, I opted for the Margherita salad. Consistent with my typical game plan I went big on the starters to get a taste of everything, then light on the entree.  Much to my surprise my salad came out and as what is this salad placed on top of you ask, oh thats right - a pizza! A little more than I needed, but hey who am I to judge. You can always use a little bread with your salad right?


Needless to say my strategic food plan didn't work out as planned. I overate as we all tend to do from time to time but my stomach was certainly satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment