Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Pizza Is My Soul Food @ John's Pizzeria

In the culinary Mecca of NYC I often become underwhelmed by the dining options as it becomes just too much to chose from. Another work lunch among us, another hour of flipping through the Zagat only coming up with question marks and mass confusion. Just when I think I have the perfect place, I see they are only open for dinner or my superior overrules my decision. It times like this where instead of being adventurous, I find comfort  in staying right in the neighborhood of midtown Manhattan. Streets screaming with tourists from Penn Station to Times Square we typically flee for the 1 train and head right to the village. Coworkers and friends alike complain about the lack of good restaurants by the office, but I suppose we really are all spoiled new Yorkers. Days like this are when a Johns Pizza on 44th hits the spot. Set in an old church with murals and decor that stimulates the senses. I am a sucker for some good architecture and John's has just that. They hold true to their 'no slices' policy stated on the backs of the wait staffs shirts. Now often my tendencies for over-eating take over my desire to be healthy, but today I stick to the food plan. A few servings of salads and only one pizza roll to start, but once that sausage pie comes out I know I'm doomed.






Now there is nothing that I hate more than eating sausage that hasn't been taken out of the casing. It pains me to  see pizza with sausage rounds that are flavorless and as visually stimulating as a piece of toast. The pork Italian sausage pizza at Johns is really what keeps me coming back for more! Large sections of crumbled up pork sausage so you get a juicy taste with every bite, it's absolutely divine!


I try avoiding the crust to save space for the good part, but then I realize that I now have evidence of how many slices I ate, oops! (It was 5 if you must know). All in all a solid and quick meal close to the office. Sometimes it's just good to stay simple ad stay close to home and remember that these same old places might just have exactly what you need that day.


No comments:

Post a Comment